Saturday 29 November 2003

,

Are you (bulletin) bored with typing?

My favourites (or bookmarks if you like) consist mostly of forums which require a username and password to gain entry. Because it's not a good idea to use the same password for each forum I must remember which password is associated with which forum, otherwise I'll find myself locked out. Each time I clear my cookies, this information is lost and as a result I have to re-login to the forums on my next visit.

If you find yourself in the same situation, rather than hammering away at your keyboard trying all the various password possibilities, what you can do is store this information within the actual URL of your bookmark file. For instance, if you're a member of the vBulletin Forum, the URL you need to store in your bookmark file would take the following format:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/?loginusername=yourusername&loginpassword=yourpassword.

This format works for all vBulletin forums, but not for all forums. The URL for an UBB forum will take a different format, but because I'm not a member of very many UBB forums I can't be any more specific than this (answers on a postcard!).

This technique will also work with lots of non-forum sites for which you are required to enter a username and password. For non-forum web sites the URL you need to save usually takes the form: http://username:password@whatever.com.

0 comments: